If you have been pulled over on suspicion of drunk driving in Texas – or if you have been formally charged with DUI or DWI – it is important to get in touch with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
To speak to one of our Plano DWI lawyers in a consultation, please call our office. The stakes are high. Start your fight today, and get in touch with one of our experienced advocates.
DUI vs. DWI In Plano
In Texas, DUI and DWI are two different crimes:
- DUI, or driving under the influence, is issued to individuals under the age of 21. A minor can be charged with DUI even if their blood alcohol content (BAC) is under .08, which is the legal limit in Texas.
- DWI, or driving while intoxicated, is issued to individuals whose blood alcohol content (BAC) is over .08. DWI is considered a more serious crime than DUI. An individual convicted of DWI in Texas may face large fines, driver’s license suspension and jail time.
Both DUI and DWI can carry significant penalties. It is important for individuals to be aware of their legal options as well as the potential consequences they may be facing.
Yes, You Can Beat DUI/DWI Charges
If you get pulled over and arrested for drunk driving in Texas, you may think that a conviction is inevitable; that you will go to jail – that you will lose your license – that you will bear the shame of a DWI or DUI conviction.
It is important to remember that just because you are arrested for DUI or DWI doesn’t mean that you are guilty of either crime.
Drunk driving charges are complex. An experienced DUI/DWI lawyer from Plano can immediately step in and start exploring your defense options. There are many factors to consider when building a defense:
- Was a breathalyzer test used during your arrest? If so, was it properly calibrated? Was the police officer trained on how to properly use it?
- Were field sobriety tests administered?
- Were you taking any medications, or did any other factors affect the results of a breathalyzer or BAC test?
- Did the police officer have probable cause to stop your vehicle? The Fourth Amendment to the Constitution protects U.S. citizens from unlawful searches and seizures.
When you work with Barbieri Law Firm, P.C., to fight DUI or DWI charges in Texas, we will explore every facet of your case. Our goal is to build the strongest defense possible and, ultimately, to help you avoid the penalties associated with a drunk driving conviction. The sooner you can contact us, the better. We can immediately start building a strong defense case on your behalf.
Get Help From Our Criminal Defense Team
Attorney Heather Barbieri is a criminal law specialist and is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She and the other attorneys at our Plano firm are well equipped to help Texans who have been charged with drunk driving or DWIs.
Get Started With a Plano DWI Attorney Today
What can you do right now to start the process of protecting your rights after a drunk driving arrest in Texas? Simply contact a Plano DWI lawyer. Call our law office today.